Monday, June 2, 2014

Bauerlein and Howe Debate





My first thought after watching the video was, what is the difference between generation X and generation Y?  I am in generation X and as a parent of the generation Y, I feel like we have been adopted into a mixed generation of parents and children learning the same stuff.  The only difference is that I have learned it later in life, but I understand what my kids are going through and what they are experiencing.  I hope this makes me a better teacher!  As for the video, I felt like when I watch Bauerlein I agreed with much of what he was saying.  But, when I watched Howe, I agreed with him more.  I find it hard to believe that we can become dumber with all of the advancements we have made and the level of technology our youth understand.  I think the bigger picture here is that our definition of smart or dumb has changed.  Learning the classics is great and it is what most of us have learned in high school.  I agree with Howe though, when he says that the boomers have "thinked" it to death.  I remember english class in high school when we read a classic or a required book and we would discuss the author's intent.  I always wondered how my teacher knew what the author had intended that I take from this novel.  I believe that those days are done and I am glad for my children!

With high stakes testing, there is pressure on teachers to grow their students understanding and increase knowledge, let's get with modern times.  Technology and it's usage and benefits are here, so let's embrace it.  Let's use the phone, iPod, computer, smart board, etc. to our benefit.  Teach with it and let the kids use what they know and understand to gain a better mastery of what it is we need them to know to be successful.  I get so tired of the older generation bashing our kids and their use of the very thing that has made so many of them successful careers.


6 comments:

  1. I too am learning all this technology with my kids. I have to ask them many times what things are and I have to pretend I can monitor everything. I worry they know I'm lying :-). Times are changing and schools and colleges must change with it or we will have our students entering the workforce unprepared. I know I personally need more training. Hopefully this class will give me ideas of how to integrate "new" literacies into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am learning all this technology with my kids. I have to ask them many times what things are and I have to pretend I can monitor everything. I worry they know I'm lying :-). Times are changing and schools and colleges must change with it or we will have our students entering the workforce unprepared. I know I personally need more training. Hopefully this class will give me ideas of how to integrate "new" literacies into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too am learning all this technology with my kids. I have to ask them many times what things are and I have to pretend I can monitor everything. I worry they know I'm lying :-). Times are changing and schools and colleges must change with it or we will have our students entering the workforce unprepared. I know I personally need more training. Hopefully this class will give me ideas of how to integrate "new" literacies into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too am learning all this technology with my kids. I have to ask them many times what things are and I have to pretend I can monitor everything. I worry they know I'm lying :-). Times are changing and schools and colleges must change with it or we will have our students entering the workforce unprepared. I know I personally need more training. Hopefully this class will give me ideas of how to integrate "new" literacies into my classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you bring up an interesting point about how generation X is still learning about and interacting with technology, just like generation Y. They are just doing it later in life. So what actually makes us so different? And I agree that it is difficult to buy into the argument that advancing technology = decreased intelligence.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree technology is here and we must embrace it. Times changes and so should we. The only area of technology I worry about is the social networking aspect. Some youth become obsessed with it and there is not as much face to face interaction anymore. Yet information is right at our fingertips in this day and age. It is amazing to see how much technology has changed since I was in high school and college and now as a returning graduate student. But I feel like technology has helped in my education not harmed it.

    ReplyDelete