Sunday, June 15, 2014

Fan Fiction





I chose this image because it is a "current" symbol/phrase just like fan fiction.

This chapter focuses on the website, fan fiction.net, where people of all ages and genders, race, and class can communicate stories, share ideas and opinions about of community topic of interest.  The chapter focuses on the idea that because there is a common thread the subject is the focus.  Basically, many people can benefit from this type of environment, specifically ELL people.

I really enjoyed reading this chapter.  Probably because of the focus on students being equal in this environment even with varying learning abilities.  I also liked that it virtually erases discrimination because the focus is on the content and shared interests and not on race, sex, class, etc.  The idea that in this virtual world, where people can share their ideas and knowledge, becomes an "achieved" identity opposed to an "ascribed" identity.

As I was reading and writing this blog, my oldest son (17) asked me what I was reading.  I asked him if he had heard of fan fiction, and of course he had.  He said, yeah that is where you can go and give or get information about something that you are in to or interests you.  I was explaining this article and the fact that it takes discrimination out of the discussion.  He commented that this is exactly the reason for such a website.  I thought it was interesting to get a youthful comment about this subject.

There are four factors the chapter focuses on that contributes to the design of the writing.  The OMG, or "Oh my God!",  factor provides the writer with positive feedback.  I like that this promotes the longevity of the writer's space because of the comfort level.  The gentle critique is often used in many blog posts and just gives the writer a little feedback, mostly about the content of the writing.  The focused techniques is basically a sweet way of saying you need help with your grammar and language usages.  Finally, you have editorialized gossip that focuses mainly on the characters and their relationships independent of real life.  The focus is on the story and opinions offered about where the story should lead or which relationships should change and how.

Adopting the use of some fan fiction in the classroom can be an effective choice.  This allows students to learn from peers, feel successful even with grammar and spelling errors, and learn the content in a safe environment.  Here the focus is on the content and collaboration with the class in a virtual and safe world.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the popularity of these fan fiction sites is due, in part, to the fact that people's ideas are valued over their class, sex, or ethnicity. And these websites are designed to bring together people who have similar interests, which seems like it would make the environment much more relaxed and welcoming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is neat you were able to get a youth perspective on this topic. Like you, I did not know a lot about this until I took this class. I had heard about it but did not have interest in learning more about it. I like that the focus is on the content and collaboration with the class in a virtual and safe world. And it allows them to learn from peers, feel successful even when they make errors, and learn in a safe environment.

    ReplyDelete