I chose this image because it parallels everything we have discussed about literature and the evolution of technology. Our kids live this life and so do we, so why don't we take what kids are doing and use it to our advantage? Literature has evolved and so should we. Fan fiction, e-readers, blogging, and literacy in general define where we are going and where have been. My husband and I had a conversation this evening about technology and how it has changed society. The question is, is that for the good or the bad? My husband thinks for the worse and I think it is just the way things have become.
We have read so many articles with varying statistics and opinions about literacy and what makes up literacy. I believe literacy has become something that can encompass tool and resources greater and bigger than what used to be available. I used to think about literacy from what my high school teachers taught. What is the author trying to say? What did he mean when he said this? What is the symbolic in this? Now it is so much broader than what we think the author intended.
Literacy includes the use of technology and its many facets. In a classroom with access to technology, websites, and new software, we are able to incorporate so much more into the lesson. Also, using technology in literacy expands our knowledge and understanding of the pop culture and authentic experiences our students live. It is imperative as a teacher that we meet kids where they are, and where they are includes virtual worlds of fantasy and creativity. Kids are writing and collaborating together online. Students that are English Language Learners are able to operate and learn in a non-judgmental environment free from grammar and writing rules typically used in school.
Technology has expanded teacher resources and enables us to think outside of the box when creating lessons. This is an advantage teachers have in all content areas and especially in promoting reading and writing. I am excited to use these resources and I feel this class has given me information I was unaware of prior to taking the class.

I agree that we as teachers have an advantage with all the new and 'improved' technology available. The image you chose was very interesting! I didn't realize the statistics were that much different then versus now. Whether we feel the changes in technology are for better or worse, my opinion is we should be open to new ideas and at least give it a try. :)
ReplyDelete