I found this study that discusses the implementation of a one to one iPod Touch in a middle school. The researches wanted to know the following:
1) How are students using iPod Touches in the curriculum?
2) How are teachers integrating iPod Touches in the curriculum? What applications,
procedures, and activities are utilized?
3) What were the successes and challenges faced by teachers and students as they used the iPod Touch as part of everyday schooling?
The results are interesting. The teachers like that they had easy access to assess students and students had easy access to the internet. Negative comments were mainly made by math teachers and even students. It was too difficult to take notes considering the use of numbers and words for explanation. They basically just used it as a calculator. Overall students like having access to the internet and grades 6 and 7 had the most positive things to say about their use. A problem that the researchers noted is that varying teacher practices determined the level of use. There was not much equal usage across the curriculum. The suggestion for this is to target different areas that may be useful in professional development.
I was at a school last year that had the one to one with the Mac. I thought it was great. I will be in a classroom this year that doesn't, so this will be very different for me. It was great to have activities and interactive assignments planned on the computer. They had access to information for research and places to go for content specific studying. Also, communication between teacher and student was great because they all had access to an e-mail.
Reference:
Crompton, H., & Keane, J. (2012). Implementation of a one-to-one iPod touch program in a middle school. Journal Of Interactive Online Learning,11(1), 1-18.
Reference:
Crompton, H., & Keane, J. (2012). Implementation of a one-to-one iPod touch program in a middle school. Journal Of Interactive Online Learning,11(1), 1-18.

This seems to be a very interesting study. I can see that it would be difficult to take notes on an i-pod, because I struggle to take notes on my i-pad sometimes. From my experience in the classroom the use of technological devices varies across the curriculum. In some subjects it is very useful and others you can get as much and if not more without it.
ReplyDeleteI accidentally replied to Kelly's blogs instead of yours so I am going back and posting to the ones I haven't. Oops! It would be difficult to take notes on an ipod or ipad but there are wonderful ways to use these forms of technology. My kindergarten students loved using the ipod touches in an independent station during reading groups and they had certain apps they were allowed to use during that time. It really depends on how they are utilized and what the teacher's goal is by using them. Great reflection!
ReplyDelete