Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Website Review

Ok, I chose the National Geographic for kids.  Although I am treating multiple subjects this coming year, I am mainly a science girl.  I love National Geographic for adults, so I knew that I would like this site too.  Apparently, this site is fairly new and they note that they will continue to work on it and add more.  The stuff they have on the site already is awesome!  I would say the age group most appropriate for this site is 4-6 grade.  You can navigate around the site without signing in, but you need to sign in to be able to do more.  It offers images with information on animals, or you can explore the world and the places in it, as well as historical figures.  This site is great for school research and not commercial at all as far as I can see.  Kids are able to maneuver without parental concern, but when you sign up the child will need to use their parent's e-mail.  It's kind of cool they have interesting facts here and there as well.  This could be used for social studies and science for sure.  I also think that sites like National Geographic have a long legacy, so they have to live up to their standards.

3 comments:

  1. I love National Geographic for kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops... I accidentally his publish and wasn't finished. I love National Geographic for kids. I taught science for k-2 and could always count on this site for a visual on whatever subject I was teaching. I do agree it is more for older grades is full of interesting facts and videos. I find myself getting hooked to it just like the show on TV. My own kids love it and it's just a great resource for teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also reviewed the National Geographic website! I think you're right about this website being for 4-6th grade. I think that I originally said 3rd but that seems a little young now for some of the reading. The website kind of reminded me of Ranger Rick which would be for younger students.

    ReplyDelete