Thursday, June 19, 2014

Text Set

Geology
Websites:

The Geological Society of America
http://community.geosociety.org/tap/resources
Ages:  Teacher

This is actually an awesome website and I plan on using it this year.  I gave a geology module and there are lesson plans, awesome activities, tons of resources.  There are free pictures that you can use, such as the one above.  There is a geological timescale that show rock formation from the precambrian period.  There are posters you can order for a fee.  I would definitely use this in my class.


Resources For Earth Sciences and Geography Instruction

http://webs.cmich.edu/resgi/
Ages:  Teacher

This site is incredible because it has links to animation that shows things like Gondwana and the separation of the continents.  You have access to journal articles, lesson plans, movies, images, and more.  I am really excited I found this to use.

globe   Earth Science Lessons   globe

Ages:  Teacher
This is another great resource for lessons.  They elementary, middle, and high school lessons on geology and other topics.



Ages:  Teacher
This site allows you to choose a section of the country and gives you information about the history and formation of the geological terrain of that area. There is a section that tells you how to use the guide and it seems pretty easy to use.



Teacher resources and professional development across the curriculum
http://www.learner.org/interactives/dynamicearth/
Ages:  Grades 4-8
I actually have professors that use this site.  This is a great way for kids to see animation and videos of what they are learning.


Books:

Ages:  All Ages
This is a great resource to use when doing a lab







Ages:  Grades 2 and up

This book has 50 hands on activities you can use in the class.

Videos:

You Tube:  The Earth's layers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTJc2v7q-3Y
Ages:  Grades 4-8
I thought this was an informative and short video on the earth's core.
Would be a good introduction to a lesson.
Kids.gov
Ages:  Grades 6-8
http://kids.usa.gov/teens/science/geology/index.shtml

This has several videos on geological topics.  This would be a good resource.
The site is easy to use and has lots of great information.

3 comments:

  1. I like seeing different text sets for older students because my background is the little ones. I think the textbook Geology Rocks would be a hook into geology. Also I thought the teacher friendly guide to geology site was neat because you can choose a section of the country and learn a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You always have cool science sets! Like Shannon, I teach the lower grades so I never get to 'play' with the upper level sites. There are some valuable rock sites here. I may even be able to use some of them with my students. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many of these resources seem like they address geography as well! I especially like the teacherfriendlyguide.org that allows you to focus on different regions of the country. I think it could help geology seem a little more relevant to our students if they are studying their own region. Great post!!

    ReplyDelete