Thursday, June 5, 2014
Chapter 2 Reflection
I chose this picture for chapter 2 because I think it represents what it is like to only be aloud to do basic functions on a computer. The computer basically becomes a type writer with e-mail per this article. The articles centers around an all girl's school where every student has a computer. The use of the computer is to write papers, take notes and do the basic functions a student would do with a pencil. So, the question is, why use the computers? I think it is funny when the authors discuss the first discourse pertaining to the expansion and use of technology while the second discourse focuses on the technology as "stalkers." This is a major contradiction and one that many schools using computers, now and in the future, will need to address. It appears that the danger of the internet far out weighs the benefit of its use at Ridgeview. If the girls are unable to access the parts of the web that will potentially expand their education, they are limiting and contradicting the goal of increasing their learning. We preach critical thinking, but we don't allow them to practice it and make good judgments. Do we want them to be like robots or do we want them to expand their views on the universe?
The chart at the end of the chapter that shows the differences between normal school production and online school production is a great way for the author to show the differences between the two. When I look at the list on the online side of the chart, I see what kids and teachers do in a normal school production without internet. Both multi-task during class and many teachers plan an activity and allow it to develop throughout the activity. Students are constantly having to choose appropriate social spaces based on the expectations of the school and classroom. Basically, this is their world. This is what they do at home and now at school with technology. The use of the technology is not the issue. It seems the issue is how to police the students use of the technology. This is just something that goes along with the changing of the times. There are going to be kids that get in trouble and mis-use the computers. Therefore, there have to be guidelines, expectations, policing software, and consequences in place.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

After reading your reflection, I agree that this picture is a really good representation of what sometimes happens with computers in the classroom. We have come a long way since the typewriter, so we should embrace the awesome technology that we have access to. You're also right that there are always going to be kids who misuse the computers so we need to have expectations and policies put in place.
ReplyDeleteTesting...
ReplyDeleteYes, kids are going to be curious and try to break the rules on computers. We as teachers and parents have to be smarter:-) If Ridgeview wants to help their girls to become "strong" independent, well-rounded women they need to trust them a little. I think schools do have a better way to police internet use at school. I noticed the article was written in 2006 I think. I would like to see how the girls are using technology today. We need to as Kelly says, "Embrace the awesome technology that we have access to."
ReplyDelete